Karen Hannah Wheeler
Tags: Karen Hannah Wheeler
6465 S. Greenwood Plaza Blvd., Ste. 650
Englewood, Colorado 80111
Ms. Wheeler is a seasoned litigator who has litigated a multitude of complex and highly technical cases and has maintained an exceptional trial record. Ms. Wheeler obtained a defense verdict for her client after a fourteen-week class action trial involving claims in excess of $380,000,000.00. Her wide range of experience includes lead counsel in dozens of successful jury trials, many arbitrations and appellate arguments in varied legal areas. Her appellate practice has resulted in numerous published Court of Appeals and Supreme Court opinions. Ms. Wheeler is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Ms. Wheeler has practiced civil defense litigation since 1987. Ms. Wheeler’s trial work has included commercial litigation, professional negligence, personal injury, construction law, products liability, environmental law, toxic torts, employment law, civil rights litigation, insurance coverage, bad faith litigation and general tort law. She has also served as an arbitrator in numerous personal injury and contract arbitrations and has presented various educational seminars in many areas of the law, including how to litigate class action lawsuits in Colorado. Ms. Wheeler is also active in Estate Planning.
Ms. Wheeler is a fellow of the Colorado Bar Foundation, and is a current member of the Denver, Colorado, Arapahoe and American Bar Associations. Ms. Wheeler is a former Colorado State representative for the national Defense Research Institute and is a past president of the Colorado Defense Lawyers Association. In 2004, Ms. Wheeler received the State Leadership Award from the Defense Research Institute. In 2006, she was a Fellow for the Colorado Bar Foundation. In 2008, Ms. Wheeler was honored as the Denver Bar Association Volunteer Lawyer of the Year. Ms. Wheeler was recognized by her peers as a Colorado SuperLawyer for 2008, 2009 and 2010. She also received an Exceptional Performance Citation award from the Defense Research Institute for “having supported and improved the standards of education of the defense bar and for having contributed to the improvement of the administration of justice in the public interest.”
Ms. Wheeler was admitted to the bar in 1987 and is licensed to practice in all of the Colorado Courts, as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals. Ms. Wheeler obtained her Juris Doctor degree in 1987 from the University of Nebraska following receipt of her Bachelor of Arts degree in 1984 from Colorado State University.
Ms. Wheeler continues to maintain active involvement in many philanthropic organizations in Colorado. She recently co-chaired an event in Denver which raised over $250,000 for Girls Inc. of Metro Denver. She is currently on the Board of Directors and is a past President of Girls Inc., Alliance.
• Juris Doctor – University of Nebraska, 1987
• Bachelor of Arts, Colorado State University, 1984
• Admitted – Colorado 1987
• Admitted – United States District Court for the District of Colorado
• Admitted – United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
• Member – Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
• Member – American Bar Association
• Member – Colorado Bar Association
• Member – Denver Bar Association
• Member – Arapahoe Bar Association
Honors and Awards
• AV Preeminent Rating – Martindale Hubbell
• Past President – Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
• Recipient of the State Leadership Award for the Defense Research Institute
• Named the Denver Bar Association Volunteer Lawyer of the Year
• Selected as one of the Top Attorneys in Colorado for inclusion in 5280 Magazine’s Super Lawyers
• Received an Exceptional Performance Citation award from Defense Research Institute
• Featured as a Top Rated Lawyer in the National Law Review, The American Lawyer, and Corporate Counsel magazine.
• Linda Weiner, Robert Michael Weiner, Fred Block, and Carolyn Block, v. Windsong Ranch Homeowners Association, Inc., a Colorado non-profit corporation; and Windsong Ranch Homeowners Association, Inc., Architectural, Control Committee, 2011 WL 882249 (Colo. App. 2011).
Hansen v. Auto-Owners Ins. Co., Slip Copy, 2010 WL 749820, (D.Colo. 2010).
Watson v. Dillon Companies, Slip Copy, 2009 WL 3271166, (D.Colo. 2009).
Novak v. Craven, 195 P.3d 1115, (Colo.App. 2008).
Martin v. Union Pacific R. Co., 186 P.3d 61, (Colo.App. 2007).
Vigil v. Franklin, 103 P.3d 322 (Colo. 2004).
Vigil v. Franklin, 81 P.3d 1084 (Colo.App. 2003).
D.C. Concrete Management, Inc. v. Mid-Century Ins. Co., 39 P.3d 1205 (Colo.App. 2001).
Hyden v. Farmers Ins. Exchange, 20 P.3d 1222 (Colo.App. 2000).
Cruz v. Farmers Ins. Exchange, 12 P.3d 307 (Colo.App. 2000).
Carlisle v. Farmers Ins. Exchange, 946 P.2d 555 (Colo.App. 1997).
Adolph Coors Co. v. American Ins. Co., 1993 WL 13029757 (D.Colo. 1993).
State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co. v. Nissen, 851 P.2d 165 (Colo. 1993).
State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co. v. Nissen, 835 P.2d 537 (Colo.App. 1992).